Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

This Is What Makes Us Girls, My Heart is Broken, and Million Dollar Man

"This is What Makes Us Girls" and "Million Dollar Man" are definitely on my long list of favorite songs by Lana Del Rey.  I find the lyrics of both songs to be very interesting.  They also are very catchy and tend to get stuck in my head.

"Million Dollar Man":


My favorite part of "Million Dollar Man" are these two lines:  "Look like a million dollar man, so why is my heart broke?"  I love how Lana played with the word broke.  It means broke as in without money, while being a play on the word broken as in "my heart is broken."  Speaking of which, "My Heart Is Broken" by Evanescence is another great song...


The music video for "My Heart Is Broken" is one of my favorite Evanescence music videos.  The whole thing is visually appealing and full of lights, mystery, imagination, and radiant cold colors.  Amy Lee has two really cool dresses in this video, as well.  The first one she's shown in is very pretty, but the second one is just so cool.  It kind of reminds me of the illustrations in Dr. Seuss books ( I think that may mostly be because of the sleeves).  The best part is when she plays her intricate piano solo in the Dr. Seuss-esque dress.

Anyway, back to Lana Del Rey.  Here is "This Is What Makes Us Girls":


Some may disagree, but I think there is a lot of truth in what Lana is saying in this song.  For me, the best lines are:

There she was, my new best friend
High heels in her hands
Swaying in the wind
Then she starts to cry
Mascara running down her little Bambi eyes
'Lana how I hate those guys'

This is what makes us girls
We all look for heaven and we put love first
Something that we'd die for
It's our curse
Don't cry about it
Don't cry about it

This is what makes us girls
We don't stick together 'cause we put love first
Don't cry about him
Don't cry about him
It's all gonna happen

I think that in this song, Lana is commenting on how a lot of girls put loving boys above having solidarity with other girls.  I don't think she's promoting that, she's just observing it, and I have observed this too.  In my view girls should stick together far more.  I'm not saying all girls are like that, but from my observation, this is an occurrence and a reality, however unfortunate.

I also love this part:

The prettiest in crowd that you had ever seen
Ribbons in our hair and our eyes gleamed green

Those two lines (especially the second line) strike me as very beautiful and poetic-sounding every time I listen to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment