Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Officially a Fan of Lana Del Rey

I am officially a fan of the singer and song-writer Lana Del Rey.  She is simply awesome.  And so so so so so so so so cool.  Definitely a fan.  I felt like sharing some songs by her, so here they all are.  I am obsessed with her music - it's like nearly all of her songs are playing in my head at once.  They've been stuck in my head for a while now.  Lana's lyrics are very personal, yet even so I can feel the emotions she feels and can understand what she's talking about in whatever song I'm listening to.  Many of her songs have an eerie and haunting melody, which I love.

1)  "Young and Beautiful"
This is a haunting, bitter sweet, and tragically beautiful song, and my favorite song that was on The Great Gatsby (2013) soundtrack (which was one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, by the way).  A song about losing one's youth and beauty.  My mom cried the first time she listened to this song - that's how beautiful and sad it is.  I thought it seemed to raise the question of whether or not Jay Gatsby really loved Daisy.  Did he only love her outward beauty?  Did he only see her as something to attain in order to become part of the upper class?  Was it merely the idea of her that he loved?  One of the best songs ever and definitely a favorite of mine.


Some more gorgeous songs by Lana Del Rey:

2)  "Dark Paradise"
A very nice song by Lana Del Rey, with a beautiful title.


3)  "Summertime Sadness"
Very interesting, poetic, and unique title.  It makes one wonder why sadness would be associated with summer.  One of my favorite songs by Lana Del Rey.


4)  "Born to Die"
About the cycle of living and dying, great lyrics as usual and once again, an awesome title.  The titles of her songs rarely lack punch and intrigue.  Catchy song (well, all of her songs are catchy...) and a pretty well-known one - one of her most popular songs.


5)  "National Anthem"
This is the music video for her song "National Anthem".  Lana Del Rey is quoted as saying that this is the "most beautiful thing" she's ever done.  The video starts with Lana reenacting Marilyn Monroe's performance of "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" from the year 1962.  Throughout all of Lana's music, there is a constant theme of American history and culture.  She's also been called the "Vintage Queen", although I can't remember where I've heard this.  Nonetheless, I agree with the title.  To me, Lana Del Rey seems very interested in times past, particularly the 1950's and 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment