Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Once Upon a Time: Favorite Moments #1

I've decided to begin a series in which I will discuss my favorite moments from season one, and perhaps the current second season as well, of the show Once Upon a Time.  The moments I will choose to talk about won't follow any sort of pattern; they will be chosen from various episodes, most likely out of order. 

One of my favorite episodes from Once Upon a Time, is called "Hat Trick".  It was episode seventeen of season one.  I thought the episode was brilliant from beginning to end, but what really struck me was a certain quote.  I thought the conversation between Emma Swan and Jefferson was very well written and thought out;  it left a strong impression on me.  I always agreed with this idea, this philosophical perception of reality vs. fantasy.  So to hear it being spoken aloud in this show made me so happy, I felt like squealing and jumping up and down at the same time while watching it.  I was practically fist-pumping the air when this dialogue began.  This is the quote I'm raving so much about:

Emma:  "They're just stories.  The mad hatter is in Alice in Wonderland, a book.  A book I actually read - "
Jefferson:  "Stories.  Stories?  What's a story?  When you were in high school, did you learn about the Civil War?"
Emma:  "Yeah, of course."
Jefferson:  "How?  Did you read about it, perchance, in a book?  How is that any less real than any other book?"
Emma:  "History books are based on history."
Jefferson:  "And storybooks are based on what, imagination?  Where's that come from?  It has to come from somewhere.  You know what the issue is with this world?  Everyone wants a magical solution for their problem, and everyone refuses to believe in magic.  Now get it to work."
Emma:  "Here's the thing Jefferson.  This is it.  This is the real world."
Jefferson:  "A real world.  How arrogant are you to think yours is the only one?  There are infinite more.  You have to open your mind.  They touch one another, pressing up in a long line of lands, each just as real as the last.  All have their own rules.  Some have magic, some don't.  And some need magic...like this one."

I love this moment.  It's like the characters actually turned around and analyzed themselves, or the whole concept, the whole idea this show is based on.  It almost felt as if they were "breaking the fourth wall" in that scene.  It made this world feel so real, as if it could be happening right now, in our world, so that one forgets that Once Upon a Time is just a T.V. show, and not really happening.  Moments like this make me love this show more and more.  For me, this was definitely one of the best moments from season one of Once Upon a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment