Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunflower Blogger Award

I've been nominated for the Sunflower Blogger Award by Lizzie at His Redeemed Child.  Thanks so much for nominating me!

The rules:

- Share eleven facts
- Answer the nominator's questions
- Set your own questions
- Nominate eleven more bloggers

Eleven facts about me:

1)  I am very close (finally) to getting my Irish passport and citizenship that I talked about in a post a while ago.  I'm so happy about this!

Korra gets how I feel

2)  I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I do not like Emma 2009.  I am in the minority on this, but I actually prefer the 1996 version.  I don't think the 1996 version is perfect either, but I like it more than 2009.

Emma 2009 (left) and Emma 1996 (right)

3)  I think I've mentioned this before, but I am politically liberal, although I don't agree with everything, for example I am against abortion.

4)  I am also a feminist.

5)  I love the BBC shows Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Merlin, and Doctor Who.

6)  I love the show Once Upon a Time and am a hardcore Captain Swan shipper.


7)  I used to not like Anime, but now I love it and am beginning to watch more of it.

8)  I am introverted, often shy, and socially awkward (more so when I was a kid, but I still am very shy around people sometimes).  I'm also kind of an airhead.  I have a big imagination and sometimes I block out the world around me and get lost in my thoughts, which is why I relate to Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables.

9)  Speaking of Anne of Green Gables, it is my favorite book.  I am a huge L. M. Montgomery fan.  She is definitely my favorite writer, and one of the most inspirational people for me, besides my great grandmother.

10)  I have twelve cousins in all, but only two of them are my first cousins.

11)  I plan on moving to Ireland at some point in my life.  My Irish heritage is a huge part of my identity, even though my Irish cousins make fun of the fact that I was born in America and am probably very Americanized.

Eleven questions:

1)  What name would you choose if you could or had to change your name?

I wouldn't change my name, but there are a lot of other names I like.  I would probably choose an Irish name, like Aoife or Deirdre.  I also like Dallas (although that is not an Irish name).  But then my name's already Irish, and like I said before, I'd never want to change it.  When I was little, though, I wanted to change my name to Kelly, but I have long since changed my mind, and I am now very satisfied and happy with my name.

2)  What place in the world (time travel included) would you most like to visit? e. g. Paris in the 1920's, Egypt, 1500 B. C., etc.

That's a really hard question.  There are so many time periods and places I'd want to go to.  I think I'd most like to visit the Regency Era in England, the Edwardian era on Prince Edward Island, or the 1930's or 1940's so I could see how my great grandparents were doing during the Great Depression and during the war.  Now that I think of it, I'd also like to go to the 1960's and 1970's for the great music and the Hippie vibe.  Or maybe I could go to the 1530's and try to meet Anne Boleyn.  I can't decide, there are too many cool options!  Although time traveling would be very dangerous...I might be thinking about this question too much. XD

3)  How would you choose to spend a lovely, sunny spring day?

It would depend on how sunny.  If it were mildly sunny, I might walk my dogs and go to a park.  If it were really sunny I'd probably stay indoors and read, write, listen to music, or sketch.  I'm not really a fan of warm weather.  I'd want to go outside more if it rained, as I prefer cold or rainy weather.

4)  What are three of your favorite books?  Three favorite movies?  Books that were made into movies?

My favorite books are Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, any one of the Emily series by L. M. Montgomery, and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.  Books I love that were made, or are still being made into movies are the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling, and The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.  Three of my favorite movies (I have way too many favorite movies...too many to count, to be honest) are Pride and Prejudice 1995, North and South 2004, and Frozen by Disney. :D

5)  Do you play an instrument?  If so, which one? If not, is there an instrument you would like to learn?

Well, I played the recorder in fourth grade, if that counts.  I played piano for a while, and was able to play a few Christmas carols on it, but gradually I stopped playing and forgot how.  I played the violin for five years.  Now, I just play the guitar (steel-stringed), but I'm still a beginner.  I used to want to play the cello, and sometimes I wish I had played it instead of the violin.  I'm interested in learning how to play the harp, but I don't think it's likely I will, at least not in the near future.  I'd also like to play the electric guitar.

6)  What kind of pets/animals do you have, if any?  If none, would you like to have?

I used to have goldfish when I was little, but I was always scared they were hungry so I would over feed them.  My brother still blames me for killing them, but I honestly didn't mean to.  When I was older, I had a golden retriever, but my family had to give her away when we moved.  I've always felt very sad about that.  A few years ago, my family got two rough collies, because as a kid I always wanted a dog like Lassie.

Lassie (1943)
The questions I came up with:

- If you could go into any fictional world and meet your favorite character, what world would that be and who is the character?
- What is your ethnic heritage and/or cultural identity?
- Top favorite movies you had when you were little?  Do you still love them as much as you did then?
- What are some of your favorite singers and/or bands?
- Do you have a favorite fairy tale, myth, or legend?
- Name a genre of music you absolutely love, and one you can't stand.

You know what?  I'm just going to nominate everyone (sorry if that's breaking the rules).  So anyone who wants to participate in the tag, go ahead! :D

3 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one in the whole world that didn't like Emma 2009! So glad I am not alone I really despise that version. I am so excited for you about your Irish passport! You and I are so alike in so many things. Practically all I watch now is BBC. Except for Once Upon a Time which I am not very far in. School makes it difficult for me to watch shows even in the evening.

    I relate so much to wanting to play more musical instruments than I can afford money wise and practice time wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma 2009 just didn't do it for me. It wasn't really Romola's fault, I think she was just miscast. I just...ugh, the humor was off for me, and well, it just didn't work.

      BBC is beginning to rule my life. XD They make such great shows. My mom likes a BBC series about historical farms, such the Victorian farm in Shropshire, the 1620's farm in the Welsh borders, or the Edwardian farm in the Tamar Valley, Devon (isn't that where Sense and Sensibility was filmed?) with Ruth Goodman, Peter Langlands, and Peter Ginn.

      I understand what you mean. Sometimes I wish I could just learn to play everything but obviously that's impossible.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, moving to Ireland sounds incredibly awesome! Maybe I'll come visit (crash) with you if I ever get to go! ;)

    I agree about Emma (2009), I particularly felt that the end fell apart... my favorite part about the 2009 is that it's longer, so they can fit more book into the movie, but I think the 1996 version got the general feel right, even if it's shorter, and the end is great!

    I love those BBC shows, too, and Anne of Green Gables is so fun!

    Thoroughly approve of your three favorite movies choices!

    You've got a great list of musical experience! I only play the piano (and sing a little). I've always wanted to learn another instrument, but I don't spend enough time practicing the piano as it is, so I probably won't.

    ReplyDelete